Edibles represent a whole new world of cannabis enjoyment for experienced smokers and rookies alike. While your local dispensary may offer a broad range of delectable baked goods, nothing is quite as satisfying as homemade treats made right in your kitchen. But if you’ve never cooked with cannabis before, getting started can be a little intimidating. Lucky for you, we’re here to offer some quick, delicious, and effective recipes. Let’s start with two of the most fundamental marijuana recipes: cannabutter and brownies.
Quick and easy cannabutter
Cannabis butter is a staple in any culinarily inclined stoner’s kitchen since it can be used in countless other marijuana recipes. There are plenty of cannabutter recipes out there, but we put together a simple, flower-based, tried-and-true standard to help you get started.
What you’ll need:
¼ ounce finely ground cannabis of your choice
½ or one stick of unsalted butter
Add butter to medium saucepan and melt over low heat.
- Add ground cannabis to butter slowly, while stirring to combine.
- Simmer cannabis/butter combination over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Look for small bubbles to start forming on surface of the butter as it continues to simmer.
- Strain butter into airtight container to remove ground up cannabis.
- Use a spoon to press down on cannabis butter in strainer to make sure you extract all the butter.
- Incorporate the butter in your favorite recipes.
Beginner’s cannabis brownies
There are tons of brownie recipes out there and the options for experimentation seem to be, quite literally, endless. Once you get this intro recipe under your belt, you’ll be off to the races putting you own twist on the classic treat.
What you’ll need:
8-inch square cake pan
7 ½ tablespoons or regular unsalted butter
1 ½ teaspoons cannabutter
6 ounces dark chocolate (60-70% cacao)
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cake pan and set aside.
- Combine butter and cannabutter in a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat.
- Add in chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Once combined, remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk flour and baking soda together in a small bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add chocolate and butter mixture and combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into greased cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until top crust is shiny.
- Let brownies cool for 20 minutes.
- Cut into 12 pieces and enjoy while warm! (nibble slowly at first if you’re new to edibles)
- Leftover brownies should keep in an airtight container for one week at room temperature.
12 servings of 5-10mg each.
Time to Experiment
One of the best things about cooking with cannabis is all the delicious food you can cook. Give these intro recipes a few spins and then you can move on to more advanced techniques, including more involved butter recipes, savory dishes, and even entire meals.
Can you imagine entertaining your friends with a cannabis dinner party? We can, we have, and it’s awesome.
And one more thing — be careful when ingesting cannabis. Start slowly and give the cannabis time to take effect. Eating cannabis is a much more intense experience than vaping, so it’s best to ease into it!